Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vegan, Gluten-Free Vanilla Cupcakes



One of our friends is having a party at her house again tomorrow and last time we went I didn't know she couldn't eat gluten and I made cupcakes, I felt terrible when I realized she couldn't eat any of the cupcakes I made (little pigs) so I vowed to my husband and myself that next time we went to her house for a party I would make a gluten-free dessert to bring along. Enter these vegan (so I can eat them) gluten-free (so she can eat them) vanilla cupcakes. Tonight I will frost and decorate them with the help of my spirited 3 year old, he is a great kitchen helper.

This recipe is from the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World cookbook.

After the "little man" and I finished up our dinner we got to work making the most amazing buttercream frosting I think I have ever tasted and it's Vegan too, go figure the best buttercream I've had would be Vegan. We shoved our frosting into our decorating sleeve and piped it out on our cupcakes and then added a few sprinkles to each. Don't judge my decorating skills too harshly as this is only my second attempt. I think I am making good progress and besides my frosting tastes amazing whether or not it looks perfect.

The buttercream frosting recipe was also from the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World cookbook. I am quickly beginning to love this cookbook just as much as my 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes cookbook.

I should note that I used the corn flour in the cupcake recipe where the choice was given between corn flour and almond flour. I am not overly thrilled with the slight corn taste of the cupcake so I would try the almond flour instead when I make this recipe again as I think a slight almond taste would be more pleasant in a vanilla cupcake. That being said they are for a chili party so I will suppose these will work out just fine and besides the fact I went to the trouble to make a gluten-free cupcake for the party due to the hostesses food allergy should be good enough on its own even though these aren't up to my usual standards. 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment